Many people prefer portable basketball hoops as they are more convenient and relatively cheaper than standard hoops. However, it can be a struggle to drain a portable basketball hoop. Some people fail completely or even land in accidents while draining. So how to successfully drain a basketball hoop without any hassles?
Although draining a portable basketball hoop is tiresome, you can quickly drain one with the proper steps. The easiest way is to tip the hoop slightly and let the water out. You might also require a hose to suck out the remaining water. Another way is to remove braces or plugs and drain the water from the hoop.
How Do You Winterize A Portable Basketball Hoop?
Winterizing a portable basketball hoop is necessary to protect it from snow or wind so that it can be used for a long time. Additionally, using the correct winterization method saves up on extra accessories and tools and frequent repairs. Here is how to winterize a portable basketball hoop:
- Lag the hoop into the ground using suitable anchors on the opposite sides of the base. Also, tie a ratchet to the anchors to make them extra secure. This will protect your basketball hoop from strong winds while preventing unwanted falls.
- Next, use a cover like a large barbecue grill over the base to protect it from rusting. This step is crucial if you live in a wet area.
- Lastly, to protect the base from freezing, use an antifreeze.
How Often Should I Drain The Basketball Hoop?
There is no hard and fast rule on how often you should drain the basketball hoop. You can drain the hoop to carry it to a different location. During the summer months, it is better to drain 25% of the base only, allowing the remaining 75% of the water to expand on its own.
Guide How To Drain A Portable Basketball Hoop
There are two ways to drain a portable basketball hoop. Here is how you can do it:
This method does not require much effort and is easy to follow.
- The first step is to remove the stopper and lay the hoop carefully to avoid damage and injuries.
- To empty the hoop, slowly tip it.
- You can also use a hose to remove the water if your hoop is heavy.
- Keep in mind to avoid sucking out the water through your mouth if antifreeze is used on the hoop.
- Alternatively, you can use gravity to drain the hoop by inserting the hose in the base and laying the other end in a lower area. This will push all the water outside in no time.
This method is slightly complicated and should only be attempted if you fail at the first method.
- Firstly, remove all poles, braces, and plugs attached to the hoop.
- Next, tip the hoop downwards to drain all the water.
- While tipping the hoop, make sure not to touch the metal frame.
Is Sand Or Water Easy To Drain A Portable Basketball Hoop?
The portable basketball hoop wins over the permanent installation ones by being low in cost and easy to maintain and move around. But to enjoy the perks of a portable basketball hoop, you need to weigh it down properly. Portable hoops have bases that require filling with either sand or water during installation to ensure stability.
Water-Filled Basketball Hoops
Using water to stabilize hoops is convenient as it is cheap and readily available. Draining a water-filled hoop is easier compared to a sand-filled one as tipping the hoop or using a hose completely removes it. However, the downside to utilizing water is that it can evaporate during summers, making the hoop unstable. Also, a damaged base can cause water to leak more rapidly.
Sand-Filled Basketball Hoops
Filling sand in a portable basketball hoop may not be convenient as it is not readily available. Plus, draining it can be challenging as it can get left inside or solidify by contact with water. However, sand is a reliable option as it keeps the hoop more stable and can be easily detected if leaking.
You should use water in your hoop if you intend to move around a lot. However, if you are sticking to one or two locations only, choosing sand is a more reliable option.
Why Choose Water To Stabilize Your Basketball Hoop?
Many manufacturers recommend choosing water to stabilize your basketball hoop. It is advantageous because water is cheaper and more readily available than sand. Moreover, it is easy to drain, allowing convenient winterizing and storage. However, you can use a base gel with the water to add more stability to the base.
How To Prevent A Portable Basketball Hoop From Freezing?
A portable basketball hoop does not require much maintenance but requires protection from freezing if water is used to stabilize it. Antifreeze helps increase the boiling point of water by more than 10 degrees Fahrenheit, preventing the inside water from expanding and cracking the base.
Here is how to add antifreeze to your hoop:
- Mix half a cup of antifreeze with a gallon of water and let it sit.
- Pour the mixture carefully through a strainer to remove solids.
- Tighten the base’s bolts to avoid spills or leaks.
- Ensure the water cools down before storing the hoop.
You can also buy a portable basketball hoop of very high-density polyethylene plastic. Such hoops offer more flexibility and expand even if the water temperature falls below 0 F.
- Many people prefer a portable basketball hoop to a non-portable one for its convenience and ease of maintenance.
- You can fill the base of a portable basketball hoop with sand or water for stabilization.
- Tilt the basketball hoop or use a hose to drain the water out. To drain a basketball hoop, you need to tilt it to get the water out.
- Using an antifreeze and keeping the base covered prevents the hoop from freezing and cracking.